CPH:DOX met up with DOX:AWARD nominee Aslaug Holm to talk about ”Brothers” that has its International premiere at the 13th edition of the documentary film festival.
What is it that you wish to tell with the documentary?
– I wanted to make a film that describes childhood, growing up, memories and the close relationship between brothers. Before I became a mother, I believed we could influence our children much more. Now, after having two sons, I discovered that they have been ready-made from the start. We are born with greatness inside us, and as children we know. Everything is possible, and we are all unique. As we grow up, we limit ourselves. The dreams and great thoughts we had as children disappear in everyday life. It takes courage to live out your potential. Some of the motivation in making this film is to be present in and describe the true moments.
– I also had a wish to reflect on my own childhood and find some similarities in our lives. We have to tell our stories to our children so they can remember who they are, and where they come from.
What do you hope the documentary will result in?
– I believe that a good film is like walking through a room, and when you are on the other side, you are a different person.
– I hope the documentary will do something good to you, to them who watch it. That you can see true moments and the whole world in a small raindrop in everyday life. And when you see the film you can remember your own childhood, and memories from years passing.
How did you feel when you found out that you were nominated in DOX:AWARD at CPH:DOX?
– I was really happy, and it’s a great inspiration in the fact that our film was found worthy to be in the main competition at this wonderful film festival. I was really proud!
Meet the director on November 12 at 19:15 at Grand Teatret. Read more about ‘Brothers’ here